Saturday, April 25, 2009

Knowledge and Potency

I have known for a long time now that there are cultural barriers besides the language ones. I just didn't realise these barriers were so signficant. Sometimes I could be talking about objects and it will be fine but when I start conversing over abstract ideas such as faith or emotions, it gets difficult.

I think she is beginning to understand that this will be a long process and not a short one. We worked on simple and compound sentences today and I believe we are indeed making progress. It is still illuminating when we discuss our daily lives and I am surprised that basic things such as TV we watch and the food we cook could be so different.

Learning is a blessing and I hope I can do this after graduating. I know that teachers have long been looked down as in terms of status but I believe teaching is an innate ability that all humans possess and that we should all use it to the best of our ability. Language is subjective to culture and good luck with overcoming the cultural barriers, guys!

0 comments: